Saturday, January 17, 2015

Half Double Crochet Headband

I know I posted about a headband a long time ago, but for Christmas this year I made 1 for each of the girls in my family, and I decided to use some variety.  I did some with a regular hdc like in the mug hugger tutorial, some with a double crochet (for my Nana who doesn't like anything very thick and warm, would be a little too holey for my taste but she loves it) and some I did with hdc clusters.  These I did for the people who usually wear a hat anyway, but would appreciate a little extra something around their ears.  To start, you will need to chain 3 for every 1 hdc cluster you will make.
 You will need to have an even amount of hdc clusters for this pattern to work properly.  I decided to go with 4 clusters, so I chained a total of 12.
You need to chain one more, this makes a loop on the end, which you will be using in the second row.

 HDC 3x into the 4th chain from your hook.

 Chain 1.  Skip 2.  HDC 3x into the next chain.
 Repeat until the end of the row.  You should end up with your last hdc cluster in the first chain.
 Chain 3 and turn.
In the chain 1 spaces from the previous row you'll do a hdc cluster.
 That loop that we made at the beginning of the last row?  That will be your last hdc cluster.

 Same for all rows after this.  See how in the above picture the first row of hdc clusters have a big hole at the bottom where it pulled the chain up?  Once you get going that will start to disappear.
 Once you get it as long as you want it (keep pulling it as tight as you want it around your head, you don't want it too loose or too snug) slip stitch the ends together, just like the mug hugger tutorial.  This seam isn't nearly as noticable as the seam from the Tunisian Crochet Headband so I didn't make another little piece to cover it, but of course you can, or you can make a little flower or bow to hide it too :) Once you've slip stitched the ends together you can go out into the frozen arctic temperatures and be confident your ears at least will stay warm ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment