Thursday, January 22, 2015

Earring Backs

When I first started making jewelry I got some things that looking back I probably should have avoided buying, but now I have them so I am trying to find ways to use them.  One of the things I got are these beauties, which are, plain and simple, a pain in the butt to wear once something is on them. 

So I decided to transform them into normal earring wires, and it works splendidly, so now I have about a gajillion more earring wires than I did previously :)  

If you find yourself in the same boat as me and wish to make these more useful and less annoying for the general populace here's what you do:
1. Cut off the little loopy part at the bottom.  It's useless.  

2. Squish the remaining loop (the part you attach the actual earring to) together, and slip a small gold bead and a gold crimping bead on from the back all the way to where it meets the loop.

3.  Crimp the crimping bead in place.  DONE!!  SOOOO easy, and you have a perfect earring wire.
Snip, Squish, and Crimp.  Now you can make as many earrings as you want, without the annoyance of the earring not actually staying in place while you try to find a loop behind your ear...  

This also (I would think) would be easy enough to accomplish if all you had is wire.  I haven't actually tried it yet, but I'm about to embark on a wire making journey and try to make lots of fun little findings for jewelry.  But that's for a later post :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment