Thursday, January 22, 2015

Baby Blanket #2

When I was a little girl I had a blanket that my Great-Grammie had crocheted (I believe it was my mom's first), and it was my FAVORITE blanket for AGES.  I still have it actually :) It's packed away now for when I (someday, maybe) have a little girl.  So when my nieces piggy blanket kept coming out of the wash with a slightly gray tinge to it (it's supposed to be pink and white...yikes!)  I decided to make her one as well :)  It's basically just a granny square that I've kept going, and I change periodically between pink and purple.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy yarn for it a couple more times, it's no where near big enough yet lol.  If you don't know how to do a granny square here's how:
1. Chain 4, slip stitch into the first chain.


2. Chain 2, 2 double crochet into hole formed by making the circle.

3.  Chain 1, 3 dc into hole, repeat 2 more times.

4. Chain 1, ss into first chain 2, turn.

5. Chain 2 (will count as 1st dc), dc 2 times into corner hole, chain 2, dc 3 times into same hole.
6. Chain 1.  DC into corner hole 3 times, chain 2, dc 3 more times into same hole.  Repeat all the way around.  
7. At end, chain 1, ss into first chain 2.  
This is your basic granny square.  These are so much fun to make by the dozens and then sew together into a scarf, blanket, whatever you want.  What I am doing for the blanket for my niece is to just keep the pattern going.  The pattern is the same no matter what row you're on, the only thing different is in all the rows after this you have to do a dc cluster (3 dc) in each chain one spot along the flat sides as well.  Here's what her blanket looks like so far.
I'm just alternating the colors I use every so often to get a pattern.  Once I get it as big as I want it I'm going to use both the pink and purple at the same time (you need a good size hook to do this) to create an edge for the blanket.  It'll be thicker than the blanket itself, but it will give it a nice finished look.  Depending on how ambitious I feel I may try to make a hood for this blanket because she likes the one on her piggy one so much, but I may decide not to so that she can use it as she gets older too.  I have plenty of time to decide that though, so for today I'm just going to keep going around, and around, and around...Oh, and to the store for more yarn haha!  Do you have anything passed down through your family that means a lot to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment